Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Law of Larry??

For all the things in life that are unpredictable, a few things will always remain constant: The sun will rise and fall each day; my family will love me even if I don't have a good race (I hope...); and if Gus Johnson is announcing a sporting event, it is going to be exciting.

Bill Simmons coined the "Law of Gus Johnson" in regards to football games this fall:
If Gus Johnson is calling an NFL game, the odds quintuple that (A) the lead will change hands in the fourth quarter; (B) someone will complete a long pass in a big moment that will make Gus' voice hit an octave only dogs can hear; and (C) the game will go into overtime or at least come damned close. It seems impossible that the mere presence of an announcer would alter the course of the game, but here's my theory: I think God sits in his Man Cave on Sundays and says, "Which game is that Gus Johnson calling? I get a kick out of that guy. I think I'll make his game exciting and see if he completely loses his mind."
But Gus got his start in college basketball (he announced Princeton's 1996 upset of the defending champs UCLA in the first round) and is famous for his excitability while announcing. Great games gravitate towards Gus Johnson.

Now if only the same were true of Larry Rawson.

Actually, great games (or in this case, great races) do present themselves to Rawson, if only he could get excited about them.

The Boston Marathon was Monday. It is one of those races that even non-track fans know about. If my cousin, an avid basketball fan living in Boston, is posting on Facebook about watching the finish line from his room, it's a marquee event.

Mondays for me means a drive to Rutgers with Coach Gags and a workout before returning home around two and heading into work. So, I wasn't able to read a ton about Boston until later on in the day. Not that I didn't get glimpses.

Ryan Hall ran 2:04:57??!? And he took 4th?!?! I was shocked and impressed.

But Desiree Davila had the lead with 400 to go and almost WON The Boston Marathon?!?!?! You have to be kidding me.

I read recap after recap. Almost everyone described themselves as standing up and yelling at their computer screen as they watched the final straightaway. Even Alberto Salazar (who coaches 5th place finisher Kara Goucher) reportedly was yelling at a screen trying to will Davila to victory. I couldn't wait to watch the footage of the finish.

Sadly, I was disappointed.

Not with Davila. Her race was inspiring. Let'sRun.com's Weldon Johnson's analysis of Davila's effort was spot on. Davila raced as tough a race as she could, and even though she didn't win, she almost achieved the impossible. Which in my book is pretty damn impressive.

It's too bad Weldon Johnson wasn't announcing the race. When Davila takes the lead at the 2:47 mark of the video below, the announcers should be going nuts. It's not that Rawson doesn't show much emotion, he does say, "Look at the move being made by Desiree right now, look at this!" But then: silence. Kilel retakes the lead and it's business as usual for the two announcers. Perhaps they were deflated that Davila was not going to win, but that final straightaway was a hell of a ride, and they announce the winner as if it was a high school dual meet.

This is what announcing of a big event should be.

I may not know exactly what we need to do to make track a more popular sport in the U.S., but I do know that some better announcing would help. If Buffalo Wild Wings can get Gus, why can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment