Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Woody"
Remember when I said I wasn't going to write any more blog's for this one? Well, I lied.

And I came back just in time to report some of the lowest of lows!

The US Road Mile was about as disasterous a race as I could have hoped for. I felt good for about a 1/2 mile, and then the wheels came off all at once. It was an odd experience, it just kind of all of a sudden happened. People started passing me, I tried to respond, and I couldn't get my legs to move. I dropped out a little after the 3/4 mark. I obviously tried to forget the experience as soon as possible, but much easier said than done. And amazingly, the hits kept coming.

The Red Wings lost to the fricken Sharks. I'm not even that big of a hockey fan, but playoff hockey is intense and fun to watch, and anyone who reads this blog knows how much I love all things Detroit. So I watched the game, got even more upset, and then slept for about 4 hours before my flight back to Michigan.

And it got even worse from there. I woke up with a sore foot. The left foot. The same one that has had 2 stress fractures in a 3 year period. It didn't hurt in the fourth metatarsal, but it still hurt.

So I got home to Bath and tried to nap away my sorrows. Obviously, this wouldn't be easy either. So I begrudgingly got in my Dad's homemade truck (see above picture) to drive up to the local YMCA and get in a swim.

I usually don't mind driving "Woody", and his may or may not be true, but I'm pretty sure the radio was stuck on a station playing Creed. So even the driving was ruined.

Then, as I'm driving over I-69 on an overpass, the hood of that damn truck flies up with a POP! and obscures any point of view I could have ever imagined having. After a brief freakout moment, I pulled the car over, shut him down, got out and slammed the hood shut and latched it with a few four-letter words spewing from my mouth.

I got back in the car and just started laughing. Couldn't get much worse than that...

And it really hasn't. I do not have a stress fracture (thankfully!) and my foot is starting to feel better. I'm skipping the great meet that is taking place at Occidental this weekend (gonna be a stacked 15!) to get my training back and going and get my head on straight.

To put it bluntly, I've struggled with my first year and a half as a pro, but I'm going to figure some things out and get ready for some nice racing come June, July and August. As always, it's go time, and I need to "Let's Go!"

1 comment:

  1. Liam! I'm sorry about your bad string of events. Makes me want to send you some Skyline in the mail. Good think you have an awesome attitude and are already saying "Let's go!" I'm excited for you for the rest of outdoor and this summer.

    PS what do you think about the incorporating the Don Draper side part under the old sweatband?

    ReplyDelete